"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Friday, April 1, 2011

Opening today…April Fool!


Since April Fool’s Day is on a Friday this year, I thought it would be awesome for the movie industry to participate in an April Fools joke.  For example, they could promo a super awesome movie that’s guaranteed to be Epic (with a capital E), like The Hobbit, say it’ll be out 4-1-11, then not release it.  Or do a Saturday release.  Or, not release any movies today.  Everyone goes to the theater today, expecting to see Source Code or any one of the other films releasing this week, and the ticket sellers are like, “huh?  What are you talking about?  I’ve never heard of Source Code.  Who’s Jake Gyllenhaal?”  That’s what would happen if I ruled the world anyway.  ::Insert maniacal laughter::


Anyway, today’s movie releases include Source Code.  I have to say, I’m pretty stoked about this one.  Gyllenhaal is a pretty well rounded actor, and I’ve liked him in just about everything he’s been in.  Granted, I didn’t see Brokeback Mountain, but everything else I’ve liked, and he did get rave reviews for that one.  (For the record, I didn’t see that one because it involves cheating/affairs, which I hate - not because of the gay content.)

Back to Source Code: It’s about a government experiment that allows Gyllenhall’s character to relive the last 8 minutes of someone else’s life, sort of Quantum Leap style.  It would seem he of course falls in love with a woman during all this, and tries to save her from imminent death.  The romantic in me is hoping he does it, and they live happily ever after, particularly after the woman only knows Gyllenhall for 8 minutes – in fact, I think she thinks he’s someone else, but now you’re just splitting hairs.  What’s a little thing like identity to stand in the way of true romance?  Ah, realism.  However, I’d also kind of like this to be a more gritty film that deals with hard issues, like the value of one life over many, or changing the past to affect change in the future, or whatever.  I think the film has an interesting concept.  I get the impression that they’re just doing the experimentation to extract information about a catastrophic event, and solve crimes.  Think about how helpful that technology would be!  I mean, if we had that power after Columbine, we may have been better equipped to prevent the shootings at Virginia Tech or Fort Hood.


The other film that’s being widely released this week is Hop.  This one I’m not so sure about.  It stars James Marsden (from Enchanted), Russell Brand (as the Easter Bunny – eh) and Hugh Laurie as the Easter Bunny’s father (which has the potential to be good).  I totally wish Hugh Laurie had been casted as the Easter Bunny.  There’s one I might go see (children’s film + Huge Laurie style cynicism = awesome).  Anyway, the film is about an out of work guy who accidentally injures the Easter Bunny, and is therefore obligated to help him save Easter (sort of a Santa Claus feel to it, minus the big red suit).  I know my sister-in-law is totally stoked about this one, but I think I might skip it.  If I had kids, that would be another story.  

So, we’ll see if Source Code has the power to dethrone Diary of a Wimpy Kid from the number one slot at the box office.  Fingers crossed it’s a great flick!  

2 comments:

  1. We really need to get you to skype into the show, because you have an opposing view from everyone else on the show... We pretty much trashed Gyllenhaal, and praised Russel Brand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well, I've never been much of a Russel Brand fan. For whatever reason, I don't have a lot of patience for his style of comedy. LOL, I look forward to being completely trashed by you and my brother! :-)

    ReplyDelete