"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Monday, April 11, 2011

The Godfocker


Got to watch Little Fockers this weekend!  I love the Focker series for its awkward brilliance.  Plus, they cast the same people in it, so the sequels are often just as good as the original.

They'd all aged a bit in this film, but particularly Dustin Hoffman's character.  I'm not sure if he's really aged that much or not, but man.  Rainman he's not.

So, the movie centers around Greg and Pam's twin's birthday party.  The twins are an interesting set of characters because they seriously don't look anything alike.  This was to further the comedic line that one twin had a "double dose of Focker" but still.  They didn't even look like brother and sister, let alone twins!

Anyway, of course all the grandparents are coming to visit for this little party.  Jack is facing his mortality after having a heart attack, and declares that Greg become "The Godfocker" of the family.  Of course, comedic hilarity ensues.

One character that really annoyed me in this particular movie, more so than he did in previous films, was Kevin - Owen Wilson's character.  He's so over the top in this one.  Then Jack tries to use him to break up Pam and Greg's marriage, and that rubbed me the wrong way too.  When Kevin fell off that pole during the birthday party, I kind of wanted to see him break his nose or something that would mar his perfect outward appearance.  Heh.  Yeah, that would've been ideal.

If you'll recall, I was particularly excited about the gag reel on this film.  However, thanks again to Blockbuster, I was deprived of this feature.  The disc was a "rental" and so didn't have any special features on it, even though they popped up on the menu!  When you clicked on them, it popped up with a message that said, "this disc is a rental.  For the special features please purchase this movie."  I think that is TOTAL bs.  Mostly because I still paid to rent the dang thing, so the movie maker still made money off of me, and quite frankly I'm not going to go buy a DVD/Blu Ray just to watch a five minute gag reel.  Seriously, if you think about this in a dollars and cents kind of way, it costs about $5 to rent a movie anymore, and $15 to buy a DVD.  So, all they have to do is rent that movie 3 times to get their money for it.  My Blockbuster had about 20 slots for the movie and I took the last one.  That's $100 on that one movie, for one weekend, in that one location.  I'm sorry movie maker, but my financial sympathy wanes for you.

Other than the special features mishap, Little Fockers was every bit as good as the first two.  I'd recommend it to just about anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment