"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Friday, April 22, 2011

Opening Today

Happy Earth Day everyone!  And, it's Good Friday as well, so insert your own appropriate Good Friday well wishes here.

It also happens to be Friday, and there are a few movies that look pretty good debuting today.


Water for Elephants is one that piques my curiosity.  I read the book a few weeks ago, and I had mixed feelings about it.  I thought the author (Sara Gruen) was amazing.  Her style was so realistic and really thrust me into the thick of the story.  However, the story is about the circus, which isn't something that I'm overly interested in.  But, it has murder, love, sex, controversy, trouble with the higher ups - which everyone can relate to - and more, which in my opinion is enough to be interested.  Plus, with a cast like Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson, I think it'll be a hit.  Oscar nominee, probably not.  Entertaining?  Yes.  Worth seeing on the big screen?  I'll get back to you.


African Cats also makes its big screen debut today as Disney's annual Earth Day installment.  The others, Earth and Oceans were great I thought, so I'm excited about this one.  It follows a family of cats through the trials and tribulations of life on the African plains.  (Insert Circle of Life soundtrack here.)  And, if you go see it during its premier week Disney will donate "a portion" - whatever that means - of the proceeds to save the African Savannah.

Medea's Big Happy Family also opens today.  Snore.  This movie is not even worthy of putting the trailer in here.  Tyler Perry, can you please retire?  I understand that the first 28 of these had some success, but I'm sick of hearing about it now.  I'm sure you've made enough to live on for the rest of your life.  Don't get greedy.  Quit while you're not too far behind, please?  'Nough said.

Don't forget to check out The Myth of Reason this week, where we discuss Source Code (since I finally saw it), new on DVD this week and today's movie releases!

All in all, could be a good weekend at the movies!  I think Water for Elephants would be my pick to splurge on.  I don't know.  Every time I watch the trailer for African Cats, I want to see that one too.  We'll see.  Happy Easter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment