"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"If You Have Tears, Prepare To Shed Them Now"


Dan brought an new film to my attention today - Anonymous.

"It's about Shakespeare," he says.  Being an English Literature major, naturally I'm intrigued.  "It's about how Shakespeare didn't write all his plays and poems.  Someone else did."

"BLASPHEMY!" I declare!

Based on this information I assumed that Shakespeare would have a ghost writer and he would be the charismatic front of this dynamic duo.  Sort of like Milli Vanilli for the 16th Century.  However, after watching the trailer, I'm further confused.  The 2 minute blip of information implies that the original genius was punished for doing something to fall out of favor with the queen.  His punishment was that no one would know who he was.  Everything was published under Shakespeare's name, so the poor man watches Shakespeare rise to be the greatest writer of all time, even though he never penned a word.

It's an interesting concept I'll give it that.  But, the very thought of it makes me angry.  It has planted a seed of doubt in my mind.  A seed that spreads like a vine, choking out rational thought.  What if this isn't the first time something like that has happened?  What if everyone we idolize from history wasn't who they said they were?  Abe Lincoln?  A racist you say?  Henry VII?  A faithful man?  Oh the humanity!  Ok, so that's taking it way to far.

And anyway, I do love movies that take risky, new approaches rather than these tired old remakes and sequels (Scream 4?  Really guys?).  I will most likely go see this one in the fall.  I will also most likely be peeved about it, and rant and rave about it on my blog.  Something for you to look forward to in September.

"Be not afraid of greatness: Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." - Act II, Scene V, Twelfth Night

So Will, which one were you?

2 comments:

  1. back in my day we had a pretty intense debate about whether or not he actually wrote all of his plays. Had less evidence than the 9/11 conspiracy theories but still made for a good debate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Cameron! Yeah, I could see that making an excellent debate. Especially if you had people like me in your class! :-)

    ReplyDelete