"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Monday, May 2, 2011

Adapt or Die Already


Went to see Hanna this weekend.  We had another free ticket, so it only cost us $6.50, and I have to say, what a waste of a perfectly good $6.50.  I was so disappointed with this movie!  It's the first Eric Bana film I haven't liked, and the fact that it was directed by the same guy that did Pride and Prejudice and Atonement - two of my favorite films - I thought it was a shoe in!  Boy was I wrong.

Overall, the film moves way to slowly.   Joe Wright spends the entire movie building to the climax, then it's over!  There's no denouement!  Hanna shoots Marissa, and the screen goes red with giant white HANNA emblazoned across it.  Oh, was that supposed to move me or something?  What happens to Hanna after that?  Particularly now that the man she thought was her father but isn't (oh, and thanks for throwing that little tid-bit in there for good measure and never fully developing it) is dead.  She has no money, no real identity, and no sense of how to live in the modern world.  What will she do?  THAT'S WHAT DENOUEMENT IS FOR, WRIGHT!

The other thing that bothered me is Cate Blanchette's character, Marissa.  What is the deal with her accent?  Was she southern or not?  Was it entirely necessary to show her cleaning her teeth so intensely that she was bleeding everywhere (gag)?  Generally, I think Blanchette is amazing, but this was just not her best.

I also found the film to be rather unrealistic within the world it had created.  For example, you can't tell me that this guy spent the last 16 years of his life or whatever preparing this girl to kill Marissa, and then didn't tell her how to recognize the real Marissa.  Hanna asks her one question, and is convinced it's her?  Get real.  Couldn't she sense the hesitation after the question while the real Marissa fed her the answer?

Additionally, Marissa is clumsy and uncoordinated at best.  The only way she ends up killing anyone is dumb luck.  She's supposed to be a believable match/foe for these two highly skilled assassins?

OH!  And the other thing that bothered me is the way the movie comes full circle.  In the very beginning she shoots a deer but doesn't kill the poor thing right away because she misses its heart.  She ends up chasing it all over creation until it finally falls down.  When the movie finally circles round to the showdown between her and Marissa, she does the same thing!  Didn't she learn anything?  Didn't she at least become a better shot?!

At any rate, I thought it was a horrible film.  Saoirse Ronan, you're two for two in my book.

2 comments:

  1. I will agree with you on all the points you made. It wasn't as developed as it could have been, the character never really grew, I couldn't understand why, in the initial escape scene, the lights were flashing, we were making fun of the dad outrunning a car, etc. And the ending was definitely too abrupt.

    Somehow, though, I still enjoyed it. Odd... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I agree! What was going on with the flashing lights? Are they in a Rave? Haha, you would've laughed at me when we were walking out. I was so peeved! Maybe I still am a little. :-)

    ReplyDelete