"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ruining The Host?

I read today that Saorise Ronan has been asked to play the lead role of Melanie in Stephenie Meyer's latest book to film flick The Host.  I'm peeved.  The last two Ronan films I've seen have been horrible - The Lovely Bones and Hanna.  I was most disappointed because Ronan is a beautiful girl, but not in a conventional way.  I wanted her to succeed in these roles.  I blamed The Lovely Bones on odd material, but Hanna was terrible all around.  Again, it could have been bad direction, but she's two for two.

If she truly is cast as Melanie I think it will be too much of a stretch for her.  She will play a woman who's body is occupied by an alien.  She does not control her body, Wanderer does.  I've been curious as to how this will be acted out on screen, and if Ronan wrecks it for me I'm going to be so peeved.  Maybe the rumor isn't true, or maybe she'll have a conflict and won't be able to do it.  One can hope.

But, maybe she'll surprise me.  Perhaps, in the hands of the right director, she can be the amazing actress I'd hoped she would be in the first two films.

There's been no word of a speculative release date for The Host, or even who will direct the film.

One Day


In more hopeful news, a trailer for One Day with Anne Hathaway and and Jim Sturgess popped up.  It follows a pair through one day on the anniversary of their meeting for twenty years.  I'm intrigued!  I love Anne Hathaway, and will generally see a film just because she's in it, but it's interesting to follow a pair of friends for 20 years and see how they change as people, and how their lives change around them.  I have high hopes for this one.  It's due out in August apparently.  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment