"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Not too Dirrty


Since Dan is in San Diego for the foreseeable future, I decided to seize this golden opportunity and watch Burlesque.  I know Christina Aguilera has gotten a ton of criticism lately for botching the Star Spangled Banner at the Super Bowl, but overall, I really like her as an artist.  She’s gorgeous, she can dance, but more importantly, dang can she sing.  Cher, on the other hand, I have a sort of love-hate relationship with.  She’s great.  You can’t not love her.  But her vibrato gets on my nerves.  Is that a goat singing?  What is that?

The concept of uniting a legend with new talent isn’t new, and Cher and Christina gave me everything I wanted.  In fact, I was sort of surprised Christina was that good at acting.  She’s no Natalie Portman – think Black Swan, not Star Wars – but I think she’s better than most blockbuster singers would be.  

And, can I just say that I love Stanley Tucci?  He is fantastic in everything I’ve seen him in.  Julia and Julie, The Devil Wears Prada, The Lovely Bones (which I hated, but it was good to see him as someone creepy), I mean, the list goes on.  

Anyway, that being said, there were some minor problems with the film, I thought.  I mean, it’s Burlesque, I didn’t really expect it to change my life.  But, I thought the whole plot with Nikki was a little underdeveloped.  She had all this angst, and Ali prevailed every single time.  I find that’s not overly realistic, even for a movie.  Plus, Nikki throws this giant hissy fit, quits, comes back in like a day and Tess welcome’s her?  And there’s no conflict between her and Ali after that?  They just…share the stage?  No no no no.

I think underdevelopment was a theme for the movie.  Just look at Jack’s character.  He’s engaged to a psycho, apparently, and writes music.  What was the deal with that?  Why did Natalie just show up?  What happened there?  Did he break up with her or not?  Is she crazy, or was he lying?  

However, underdevelopment was not an issue for the musical numbers.  Cher had two, and Christina had…well, all the rest (five for the record).  And neither of them disappointed.  I particularly liked Cher’s “You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me” because it really helped to connect with her character, and maybe even her.  Christina’s numbers were all good, but were pretty similar – filled with impressive dance moves and vocals like only she can deliver.  It would’ve been nice to see something like what Cher had – a window into who her character was supposed to be, or a “Reflection” of some sort of internal struggle (I guess they couldn’t work that one in) – but maybe next time.

Overall, I actually really enjoyed this one.  It’s fun and entertaining.  It’s not going to win an Oscar or anything – well, ok, it didn’t win an Oscar or anything, but it was still worth watching in my opinion.  Girls, check it out!  Boys, if you’re still reading at this point, tell your wives/girlfriends/fiancé’s that I said you don’t have to watch it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment