"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

New This Week


New DVDs

Yesterday, a few notable films were released to DVD and Blu Ray, just in case you missed them in the theater.

First up is The Fighter.  I haven’t seen this one yet, and I’m not convinced I need to.  Anyone want to argue the point?  I know Christian Bale got a lot of attention for it, but I need more than that.  I could go either way about Mark Wahlberg, and I dunno.  The story seemed a little…tired.  A poor fighter climbs to the top to become champion?  Didn’t Rocky do that like 768 times?  Meh.

Clint Eastwood’s Hereafter is also out on DVD this week.  This is one I caught in the theater, because I was pretty excited about it.  However, I felt sort of let down after seeing it.  It took way to long to get into the nitty gritty of the plot.  Then, when it finally got to the good stuff, 15 minutes later it was over.  I thought it was a great concept, and I love movies that have different characters and story lines that all come together in the end, but this one just didn’t do it for me.

The Switch is out this week as well.  I must say, this was a very enjoyable film.  A typical romantic comedy with a fair amount of predictability, but I’m not really looking for surprises from a movie like this.  It was full of great one-liners, and all around good writing.  I have to say, I’ll never look at Diane Sawyer the same way again.  Depending on what kind of mood you’re in, of the three that are out this week, I’d say this one is the one that’s worth renting.  

New Trailers This Week


The trailer for Beautiful Boy was released yesterday.  Holy crap.  This looks like an I-wanna-kill-myself kind of movie.  Although it looks amazing, and appears to deal with some tough issues (it centers around the parents of a gunman responsible for a shooting at a local college who took his life after the deed was done), this may not be one I want to see if I’m feeling a little down for any reason.  The trailer only provides a vague promise of “coming soon.”


Larry Crowne is another trailer that was released just today.  It seems to be about a guy who’s going back to college and falls in love with his teacher.  I’m intrigued, mostly because it has Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts.  With those two big names, you can’t hardly miss, right?  It’s due out July 1.  

No comments:

Post a Comment