"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hungry Yet?


According to an article on Yahoo today, Jennifer Lawrence – of Winter’s Bone – will be the star of the upcoming Hunger Games film.

I was very intrigued by this news, because a) I didn’t know they were doing a film of this, and b) I don’t really know who Jennifer Lawrence is.  She did get an Oscar nod for her roll in Winter’s Bone, but I have yet to see that one.

I like that they chose an up and coming actress for the roll.  Someone like Dakota Fanning would bring too many expectations to the film.  Although she is very diverse, people might be looking for Jane in The Hunger Games, and I don’t think that’s the right approach to this heroine at all.

It will be interesting to see who else ends up in the film.

The Hunger Games is a young adult book by Suzanne Collins that I’ve had on my list for quite some time, and according to IMDB, the film is do out in 2012.  That gives me plenty of time to read the three-part series.

It’s apparently about an America gone bad, where contestants (chosen by lottery) are forced to fight against each other to be the last one alive.  The event is televised and it is mandatory for all residents to watch the event.  The story line reminds me a little of Brave New World except for teens.  I’m psyched to read it.

The beauty of this teen flick is it appears Collins is one of the writers on the film, so one would think it will follow her original storyline pretty closely.

Director, Gary Ross, also did Sea Biscut, Big – that one takes me back – and Pleasantville, so it will be very interesting to see what he does with a story line that’s so different.

It would appear the film doesn’t have a website, or a trailer (which would make sense, since they haven’t picked all their actors, but whatever) or anything yet!  So, I’m left to speculate that it will be awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment